Travelling With Your Pet To An Eu Country Or Northern Ireland

Welcome to our pet travel page, whilst we endeavour to ensure we have the most up-to-date information on our website at all times, it is always advised to visit the website so you (as the pet owner) are fully aware of all necessary obligations.

You can no longer use a pet passport issued in Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) for travel to an EU country or Northern Ireland.

When travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland, your pet needs:

  • a microchip,
  • a valid rabies vaccination,
  • an animal health certificate unless you have a pet passport issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland,
  • tapeworm treatment for dogs if you’re travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta.

These requirements also apply to assistance dogs.

The information on which countries this pertains to is available from: Gov.UK click here for the latest information. Please note that each country will have its own requirements and you should allow sufficient time for all procedures to be undertaken before you travel. It is your responsibility to make our vets aware of any specific country requirements. Your pet will also be subject to re-entry procedures, so make sure you are fully aware of what is needed.

Our vets at Bush House are authorised to facilitate the export and travel of your pet to the EU and worldwide, we can assist with health checks, blood samples and any other requirements. Obtaining an Animal Health Certificate takes time and you should begin the process at least 1 month before you travel. The cost for the Animal Health Certificate is £180 (for existing clients*) and includes one pet, if there is to be more than one pet added (maximum of five pets allowed per AHC) then each additional pet will incur an additional £45 charge. If you are travelling with more than five pets, then an second AHC will be required at the above cost.

Here’s our step-by-step guide:

STEP 1: Your pet should already be micro chipped, if not get it done now.  Before any other pet travel procedure can be carried out your pet must be fitted with a microchip so that it can be properly identified.

STEP 2: Have your pet vaccinated against rabies. There is no exemption from this requirement and rabies boosters must be kept up to date. Once vaccinated your pet must wait 21 days from the date of the vaccination before leaving the UK.

STEP 3: Complete the “Bush House Animal Health Certificate Client Questionnaire” form and return to us no later than 5 days before your appointment.

STEP 4: Attend an appointment to get the Animal Health Certificate documentation for your pet. The practice will supply this once your pet is vaccinated against rabies. The filling in of the Health Certificate forms takes some time, so when booking your pet in for a rabies vaccination and Health Certificate please inform the receptionist.

STEP 5: Tapeworm treatment (dogs only). All dogs must be treated for tapeworm 24-120 hours (1-5 days) before entering the UK. This treatment must be administered by a vet and certified within your pets official form. There is no longer a mandatory tick treatment however we strongly recommend that you keep your pets tick prevention up to date whilst abroad as many serious exotic and zoonotic diseases are transmitted in this way.

STEP 6: Arrange for your animal to travel with an approved transport company on an authorised route.

STEP 7: The best one – have a lovely holiday with your pet!

* existing clients are those who have been registered with Bush House Vets for at least 6 months prior to requesting an AHC and for their pets to have received treatment from us. Any new clients, of those who do not meet the above criteria, will be charged £215 for the AHC.

Categorised in: